Some cool best bathroom designs images:
London Victoria Station – coat of arms
Image by ell brown
This is London Victoria Station, in Victoria, London.
We were here to see Wicked at the nearby Apollo Victoria Theatre.
Has a brief pop inside, before heading for Starbucks for a drink before the show.
The station is currently being renovated, to enable easier access between the railway station and the underground station below.
Victoria Bus Station is close by.
The station is Grade II listed.
TQ2879SE TERMINUS PLACE
1900/98/10269 (South side)
26-JUL-01 Victoria Railway Station: the former
London, Brighton and South Coast
Railway Station and rear Concourse
Railway Station Terminus. 1906-8 with minor C20 alterations. Designed by the railway company’s Chief Engineer, Sir Charles Morgan. Imperial Baroque Revival version of the French Renaissance style.
Main street elevation 9 storeys with 2 storey ashlar basement. 5 main storeys, over bottom 2 storeys obscured by projecting iron and timber canopy, plus 2 further attic storeys in the mansard roof. Nineteen bays wide arranged, 3 : 5 : 3 : 5 : 3, with the ashlar centrepiece and end pavilions set slightly forward, the plain sections of five windows being in red brick with stone bands and cornices; windows of two widths, either 2 over 2-pane or 3 over 3-pane sashes. Lower 2 floors under canopy supported on 3 posts at front, with steel and glass roofs and timber valancing. The openings and shops have been considerably altered in recent years. Above the canopy is a floor of windows with keyed heads, then one with pedimented heads, then smaller keys, then plain architraves; pedimented heads to the lower attic floor and plain above. The outer pavilions have large segmental pediments. The central attic feature has bowed central windows and an elaborate broken pediment with clock above. This is set against a tall French pavilion roof, as are the end ones, plain mansards between each with 4 tall stacks with weathered caps, and a further stack at each end. The clock is flanked by wreaths and female supporters reclining on the pediment scrolls.
The rear wall cannot be seen except for the 2 storeys of offices, red brick with stone bands, within the concourse. The upper hotel floors are not intended to be seen.
INTERIORS, ground floor interiors are altered. The railway offices on the first floor were not inspected. The upper floors are part of the Grosvenor Hotel and are some 150 bedrooms, bathrooms etc. These were not inspected.
Station Concourse, 1906-8 also designed by Sir Charles Morgan.
The concourse has five ridged roofs running back at right angles to the building supported on cast iron Corinthian columns and on the surrounding buildings. The columns support deep lattice girders running under each gutter and these support light steel trusses.
This roof originally continued over the platforms, but has been truncated in the 1990’s and now covers only the head of each platform.
Many late C20 additions have been inserted into the concourse.
History: Victoria Station was built in 1860-2 by the Victoria Station and Pimlico Railway Company and half the capital for this was subscribed by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway, with the London, Chatham and Dover Railway subscribing 1/3rd and the Great Western Railway 1/6th. The stations were designed from the beginning as two separate stations used by different companies. The oldest part surviving is the eastern or Kent (ie the L, C & D R) side which opened on 25th August 1862, and it was this side that was used by the GWR in conjunction with the West London Extension Railway, which connected with their main line at Old Oak Common via Battersea railway bridge; and this was opened the following year (2nd March 1863). The L, C & D R station continued unchanged until after the company had amalgamated with the South Eastern Railway to form the South Eastern and Chatham Railway in 1899. The rebuilding of the L, B & S C R side of the station (see below) in 1906-8 inspired the S E & C R to respond with the highly decorated new frontage designed by Alfred W Blomfield which fills the gap between the L, B & S C R building and the original departure building of the L, C & D R in Hudson’s Place. This was built in 1909-10.
The L, B & S C R’s half of the station had first opened on 1st October 1860 and was designed by their engineer, R Jacob Hood. By the late C19 this station had become extremely overcrowded and it was decided to build a much larger and better planned one designed by their Chief Engineer, Sir Charles Morgan. The new section along the Buckingham Palace Road was brought into use first in 1906-7 and the old station was then demolished (the entranced canopy dated 1880 survives at Hove station). The completed new station was formally opened 1st July 1908.
The Victoria Station and Pimlico Railway Company remained nominally independent of its user companies until Grouping when both sides came within the Southern Railway. The Great Western Railway continued to have running powers into the eastern side of the station, although their last services seem to have run in 1915. The Southern Railway’s first attempt at unification was to make the double arched opening through the wall between the two stations. This was done in 1924-5 and the platforms were then numbered right across the station as now. Electric traction had arrived at the L, B & S C R station in 1909 with the overhead system. This was changed to third rail in 1929 and under the S R rapidly expanded, with the Brighton service being electrified in 1933. Electrification on the Kent side also followed close on Grouping, with the local commuter services to Orpington being changed in 1925 and those to Gillingham and Maidstone in 1939; but the full length of the lines to Dover and Thanet were not completed until 1959; while Platforms 1-8 were lengthened the following year.
The Brighton side train shed and the screen wall along Buckingham Palace Road have now been rebuilt and replaced by office blocks over the tracks in the major rebuilding of 1980s and 1990s undertaken by British Rail. The Kent side of the station, however, still remains much as it was at Nationalisation in 1948, with the war damage to the original part of the L, C & D R station having never been properly reinstated, although it was given a new Booking Hall in 1951.
References: Alan A.Jackson, London’s Termini, Pan Books, 1972, pps 281-321.
C.F.Dendy Marshall, The History of the Southern Railway, revised ed. Ian Allan, 1963.
Gordon Biddle, Great Railway Stations of Britain, David and Charles, 1986.
Inside Victoria Station. Looks nice inside.
Coat of arms above one exit.
PA – Mill Run: Fallingwater – Terrace Monitor
Image by wallyg
The third floor terrace at Fallingwater features a monitor with clerestory windows that provides natural light and additional ceiling height to the second-floor guest bathroom below. Removable plant trays on its roof add an organic element.
Fallingwater, sometimes referred to as the Edgar J. Kaufmann Sr. Residence or just the Kaufmann Residence, located within a 5,100-acre nature reserve 50 miles southeast of Pittsburgh, was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and built between 1936 and 1939. Built over a 30-foot flowing waterfall on Bear Run in the Mill Run section of Stewart Township, Fayette County, Pennsylvania, the house served as a vacation retreat for the Kaufmann family including patriarch, Edgar Kaufmann Sr., was a successful Pittsburgh businessman and president of Kaufmann’s Department Store, and his son, Edgar Kaufmann, Jr., who studied architecture briefly under Wright. Wright collaborated with staff engineers Mendel Glickman and William Wesley Peters on the structural design, and assigned his apprentice, Robert Mosher, as his permanent on-site representative throughout construction. Despite frequent conflicts between Wright, Kaufmann, and the construction contractor, the home and guesthouse were finally constructed at a cost of 5,000.
Fallingwater was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1966. It was listed among the Smithsonian’s 28 Places to See Before You Die. In a 1991 poll of members of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), it was voted "the best all-time work of American architecture." In 2007, Fallingwater was ranked #29 on the AIA 150 America’s Favorite Architecture list.
National Register #74001781 (1974)
Christchurch’s Oldest House
Image by Marapito²
Built in early 1852 as a farm house on 50 acres by William Brittan, the central gable and the Right hand buttressed side of the house was the original homestead.
Known as Englefield Lodge, the design of the house, although without any written sources, can reasonably be attributed to Brittan’s brother-in-law Charles Edward Fooks (1829–1907) Architect, Surveyor, Civil Engineer and Secretary of the Land Board.
With three bedrooms and one bathroom, the 280 square metre house is now situated on a 1,624 square metre section on the eastern side of Fitzgerald Avenue, close the intersection with Kilmore Street and Avonside Drive.
William Guise Brittan (1807–76), was the Commissioner of Crown Lands and Publisher of The Canterbury Standard. His first home (1851) was situated at the Clarendon (Southeast) corner of Worcester Street and Oxford Terrace.
Brittan’s son the Reverend Frederick George Brittan (1848-1945) was the last survivor of the first four ships emigrants, William’s great-great grandson was Captain Charles Hazlitt Upham VC and Bar (1908–1994).
Englefield was substantially remodeled and enlarged in 1864. Those renovations can reasonably be attributed to the Architect Benjamin Mountfort (1825-1898) who lies next to Brittan in the Avonside church cemetery. Mountfort’s nearby Gloucester Street house (demolished) and the alterations to the 1856 Middleton Grange at Riccarton indicate strong similarity of design elements. Brittan then sold the house, with 3 acres, to John Aikman for £2,000 in that same year.
In 1866 Englefield passed to William Thomas Locke Travers (1819-1903), a Lawyer, Magistrate, Politician, Explorer, Naturalist and Photographer. The top Right image is Travers photographed in the garden, with his wife and daughter.
Travers sold the house in 1872 for £3,000 to Edward Cephas John Stevens (1837-1915), a Real Estate Agent, Cricketer and Chairman of the Board of The Press newspaper. Travers kept the house for 50 years until his death in 1922.
After a five year ownership by the Architect John G Collins it became the home of E B Rawlings until 1946, when the house was sold to a Mrs M Saunders, who remarried into to the Righton family, who had a substantial interest in Christchurch cinemas. Mrs Righton bequeathed Englefield to the Salvation Army, who sold it to the current owners Mr and Mrs R. H. Ryman in 1972.
The earliest references to Englefield Lodge both occur in 1852, the first indicates that Brittan nominated the house as his domicile when enrolling three of his sons at Christ’s College and the second is a description of the property from the Lyttelton Times of the 17th of April in that year.
"A neat wire fence fronts the road for a short distance, and is succeeded by a row of healthy looking hawthorn and furze plants on the top of the bank. The kitchen garden on the slope between the buildings and the road displays an abundance of vegetables and fruit trees of many kinds, besides a few willows and wattles. All the vegetables have succeeded to perfection here; there could not be finer potatoes, cabbages, turnips, onions, carrots, and parsnips; celery also flourishes. Peas and beans of several kinds were equally productive in their season.
A substantial cob house is being erected in the rear of the temporary hut, covered with rushes, which has afforded the first year’s shelter to the farming man. Well-stocked piggeries and fowl house, a milking shed, and two ricks, stand in the neighbourhood.
Beside the kitchen garden, about twenty-three acres have been cropped on this farm. The soil is a light sandy loam, easily worked with two horses, now that the tutu roots have been extracted. I am told that this operation swelled the cost of tilling, in the first year, to £10 or £12 per acre; which is reckoned to have produced from twenty-eight to thirty bushels per acre; oats, barley, and potatoes afforded a much larger crop in proportion. The quality of all the crops is remarkably good, and as the land is now thoroughly cleansed, the yield, may be expected to augment next harvest."
Updated 16 October, 2008